The detainees of Homs Central Prison continue their hunger strike for the fifth consecutive day despite threats from the prison management that the prison will be raided and the hunger strike ended through forceful means.
On 17/10/2017, the detainees of the prison made an open call, the text of which is:
We, the detainees of Homs Central Prison, who amount to 550 prisoners that have been detained due to the revolution which began in our beloved country, announce the “strike of the empty bellies”.
- Because we have suffered like what our great people have suffered, from oppression, injustice and tyranny.
- Because we have been the weakest link in any negotiation, and the final band in any international or regional meeting.
- The injustice of our prison has become narrow, and we can no longer be patient on the pains we, our families and our children are being inflicted with.
- The promises we have been given from all sides which have researched the Syrian issue have become forgotten, empty promises.
- This is a call to all human rights organisations to stop the prison from being raided
- Our peaceful hunger strike is our legal right in order to make our voices reach the free people of the world
- Our immediate release from prison before any negotiation on any area or city whose residents have been forcibly removed under international auspices takes place
- We want our freedom, our dignity, and to be able to immediately return to our families and children.
The Detainees of Homs Central Prison
Homs, Tuesday 17/7/2017, 2am.