ISIS have released a video showing the execution of five journalists in Deir Azzour.
The video, which was called “Soul of Satan”, showed the detainees in positions which had been acted out. In some scenes they were shown to be in the city and among the civilians.
The video, which was released on 25/6/2016, did not provide details of the dates in which the detainees were detained and executed.
The five journalists in the video are:
- Samer Mohammed al-‘Aboud: Founder of the “Free Deir Azzour Network”. He identifies himself as director of a developmental network in the video. He is 33 years old, and is shown to be slaughtered with a knife by an armed man in a residential street within the video.
- Sami Jawdat Rabah: Identified himself as being 28 years of age and an independent journalist that worked alongside ISIS after he entered the city. Later, according to the video, he worked with foreigners and handed them information on ISIS’ headquarters. The video depicted Sami’s killing through the explosion of his laptop inside his home.
- Mahmoud Sha’ban al-Haj Khidr: Head of the “Now” channel in Deir Azzour. He was strangled to death with an iron rope.
- Mohammed Marwan al-Issa: In the video, he stated that he was 41 years of age and worked with the “Natiq al-Rasmi” network in Deir Azzour. He would send his brother Yasir al-Issa- who worked in Aljazeera- information, and was slaughtered to death with a knife.
- Mustafa Haasa: He works as a journalist in the city, and cooperated with ISIS in his work. He cooperated with “Human Rights Watch” and sent them some photos. He was killed by having his personal camera filled with explosives and then hung on his neck, whilst tied to his balcony.